Monday, October 01, 2007

Being pedantic

I'm a bit of a usability nerd. I'm all about intuitive interfaces, logical organisation of data, self explanatory navigation. So here is my gripe.

I've been trawling through the archives of a few blogs and things lately (remembering that one feature of using a blog format for a major site is the ability to place your content in a timeline). And, almost without fail, down the bottom of the page, there is the pair of links 'previous page', 'next page' or some other ambiguously labeled link.

The problem I encounter, when I'm further back then the front page, is the horrible inconsistency among sites to decide which way in time they are moving. Often I will click 'previous page', expecting to be taken back in time (blogs being timelines and all) to previous posts. But instead it takes me back to the page I was previously at. The newer one. So the next site I visit, I click 'next page', and I am again taken forward. Some people who give over a certain amount of eloquence to resort to 'older posts/entries' and 'newer posts/entries' achieve a better user experience. People just need to make up their mind.



In other news, I bought a 50mm f1.8 lens for my camera. I've been wanting it for ages, and I don't think its going to be coming off the camera for awhile. Great sharpness, depth of field etc. Brilliant 'normal' lens.

And now brace yourself for a shameless plug:

Vena Cava Productions Presents:
Fresh Blood 2007

Featuring two original plays:

No Bare Feet

Written by Bronte Coates
&

It Would Be Rude Not To

Written by James Grant & Sam Davies
Preview 2pm on Sunday 7 th October 2007
Opening at 7pm on Sunday 7th October 2007 at 7pm
2pm and 7pm on Saturday the 13th October
7pm Sunday the 14 th October
In the Woodward Theatre – Kelvin Grove QUT
Tickets cost - $7 Vena Cava members, $10 Students, and $12 Adults
To book your tickets call: 0421 253 795 or email: venacavaprod@gmail.com




Fresh Blood is a production showcasing 2 student written/directed/produced shows, and will prove to be an interesting combination, one being a surrealist piece, the other an 'Aussie comedy'. I'm stage managing the comedy and would like us to show to a full theatre. A full theatre of young people would be even better. So get along if you have time :)




No comments: